Consultancy Opportunity, Terms of Reference: Assessment Kvinna till Kvinna’s Decentralized Structure
Follow-up to the reorganization of the Program Department in 2015: Assessment of the new organizational structure, the functions, work approach and quality assurance of the decentralization of the program department, Kvinna till Kvinna 2018.
Kvinna till Kvinna has undertaken geographical expansion and gone through organizational changes over the last five years. There has been a decentralization of responsibilities and decision-making to the program countries introducing a hierarchy with Head of offices and Regional managers in some program countries.
In March 2015 a change of the Coordinators position at headquarters was made, and the function of Grants Manager replaced it. As the program offices grew, new positions were instituted in the program countries such as Financial officers, Advocacy officers, Communication officers, and most recently a Regional safety and security advisor. Most of these new positions are staff on local contracts in the program countries.
As the growth of the program department has taken place, staff express continued unclarity in terms of roles and responsibilities between different positions.
Kvinna till Kvinna has decided to follow-up the reorganization of the program department in 2015 with an assessment of the current organization for continuing to adjust the organization of the department, to be more efficiently organized and fulfil our mandate and our operations. At the center of the operations are the program cycle for support to partner organizations, and the application and reports of grants to Kvinna till Kvinna back-donors.
The purpose of the evaluation is:
- To assess roles and responsibilities for the different positions in the program department and in the financial unit, related to the program cycles and to Kvinna till Kvinna’s cycle to back-donors. This includes the functions of: Grants Managers, Controllers, Financial officers, Head of Offices, Field Representatives, (Senior) Program officers, and the (Deputy)Regional Managers.
- To assess the role and responsibilities of the thematic advisors in the in the work flow of programs,
- To provide recommendations to improve the program departments organization, including the work flow between the different functions´ roles and responsibilities and the order of delegation. Recommendations should contribute to make the operations clearer and more efficient.
- To specifically compare job – and programme cycle descriptions to what the staff in the tasks of the following positions actually do: Grants Managers/ Controllers /Financial Officers); identify possible discrepancies between instructions and practice and to identify possible gaps and/overlap between these functions;
- Recommend changes of job descriptions and/or order of delegation of these functions.
- Identify support functions in the financial unit and/or program department that are missing and/or recommended additional support that staff in the program department need;
- Recommendations for how Kvinna till Kvinna can work more efficiently given the set up of the program department spread out in various offices.
Issues to address/ questions:
- How could Grants Managers, Controllers, and Financial officers work in the project cycle with partner organizations be carried out more efficiently.
- How to ensure relevant and efficient internal control mechanisms in the decentralized structure of the organisation
- How is the work in the project cycle carried out efficiently between Grants managers, and staff in the program countries including: Head of office, field representatives, program officers, and senior program officers?
- What could be improved in functions, job descriptions and order of delegations
Existing sources: The background document of the organizational decentralization, job descriptions for all functions, the order of delegation, a description of the revised program cycle. The report from an assessment of the thematic advisor’ position.
Method: Review of document, interview key staff at head quarters and in programme offices (by skype)
Deliverable: An evaluation report not exceeding 25 pages (final) including recommendations for improvement of the organization of the program department, adjustment of support functions (who does what) and work processes related to the program cycle for support to partner organizations and to back-donor grants management. It should include suggested amendments to Job descriptions and order of delegation.
Timeframe: The evaluation is to be carried out during April – June, 2018. Deadline for draft report is 30 May, the deadline for the final report is 15 June 2018.
Requirements on tender and team’s consultant’s skills and competencies:
The tender should include a work plan suggesting on how to carry out and report the evaluation before the deadline, including consultation of staff- key functions at different offices.
- Experience of organizational assessments and evaluations;
- Experience of organizational development assignments, preferably involving order of delegations, internal processes and/or sub-granting
- Experience of decentralized organisations;
- Knowledge about the international aid and the development sector;
- Fluent in English, excellent writing skills in English;
- Good analytical skills;
- Ability to plan and meet requirements on time;
- Good ability to read documents in Swedish
- Experience from Women’s organizations or Civil Society
- Experience working with Sida and other bi-lateral donor requirements
- Good knowledge about conflict affected regions
The consultant fees shall be specified as fees per day including taxes, social security contributions and VAT. The total budget for the assignment shall cover all the costs, including salaries and any other expenses related to the assignment.
Contracted consultant cannot further subcontract the assignment. In cases where the tender includes a team of consultants, their division of labour shall be presented in advance to Kvinna till Kvinna and include the CVs of all team members.
Deadline for submission of tender
Tenders must be sent to Kvinna till Kvinna no later than April 18th , 2018.
Tenders should be sent by mail or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have additional questions, please contact Annika Törnqvist, Head of Development Cooperation at Kvinna till Kvinna: email@example.com